We offer many different ways that we can work for you.
As we stated on our home page, divorces can be costly. So can family law actions. Simply put, no one likes to spend money on a lawsuit. And the traditional model that most lawyers practice under is a stretch for many: putting down thousands of dollars up front as a retainer before an attorney will work on your case.
There are certainly benefits to this model of full representation, but many people cannot afford the retainer. So we offer alternative solutions. You can hire us to work on one part of your case, or we can draft your documents and coach you on how to proceed or what to expect when you appear in court.
There are many ways people can work with lawyers. We'll explore them with you to see what best fits your goals and your budget. For more information on our pricing, see this page.
We use technology.
We live in a world full of technology. Yet many family law firms and lawyers do not embrace tech use. They do not use technology to make their work processes more efficient. We're taking the opposite approach: We will use technology to become a better law firm that helps our clients achieve their goals in a less expensive way.
But what do we mean by technology use? Here are some examples of how technology can be used in a law firm:
- Some firms require people to meet with them in their the office. We decided not to have an office because ultimately, it's a cost that gets past down to the clients. Clients end up paying for law offices when a lawyer can work with them remotely, or meet with them in a place that is more convenient to the client. Remote work can be as simple as telephone calls. Calling each other can be a cheaper way to connect (especially because gas prices are high, and driving to and from a law office takes time).
- Other firms require people to come into their office to sign a legal document. Let's take a cue from realtors, and use DocuSign (or something similar) to let clients sign the documents remotely, using just their phone or their own computer. Lawyers should mimic realtors here.. for instance, have you ever bought or sold a house? Most of your signing will be done online.
- Some attorneys will postal mail legal documents when e-mailed documents are faster.
- Other attorneys may custom draft all of your legal documents. However, if you see an attorney starting from a <File <New, you will end up paying them too much. Work with a firm that uses templates or state-approved court forms. In fact, we want YOU to use forms if you don't hire us to represent you. There are many forms online, and we'll dive into them in a future blog post.
These are just a few examples of the technology that you probably use already every day. In other words, you don't have to be a techno-wiz to use technology with your lawyer. You just have to have a lawyer willing to integrate technology into their business. That's us!*
We want to see your case resolved sooner than later.
As mentioned on our home page, Sara Kubik, owner of Kubik Legal, was a family law client herself. She knows the frustrations legal clients face when working with lawyers. She understands how long cases can take, how expensive they can be. She has been frustrated by why her attorneys wouldn't respond to her for weeks on end.
All of these frustrations were her motivation for going to law school. Now she is a lawyer who can help you. She can understand what you are going through and knows this makes her a better attorney to represent you.
Many law firms have lawyers that handle 50+ cases at one time. It's no wonder that these attorneys don't communicate well with their clients! Kubik Legal represents less clients so we can better focus on their cases and address their concerns. We're more responsive when you have questions. You'll quickly see the difference in how we operate.
* Of course we use more technology than what is listed above. Each client has a different level of comfort in the technology they use. The point is, don't be afraid to use technology. We aren't and can help you along the way.
Contact Kubik Legal to set up a free 15-minute phone consultation for your Chicago or Chicagoland divorce, child custody, or child support case. Here's how...